With all the summer BBQs just around the corner, I decided to share with y’all one of my favorite things to bring to summer potlucks! This Strawberry Trifle Dessert is a delicately layered bowl of angel food cake, vanilla pudding, strawberries, and whipping cream! It is always a huge hit at dinner parties and a frequently requested recipe!
Strawberry Trifle Dessert
- 6 cups Strawberries
- 1 pkg Cook and Serve Pudding Mix large
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1 Angel Food Cake
- 6 cups Whipped Topping
- In a medium saucepan, combine the pudding mix and milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat stirring constantly with a whisk. Once it starts to boil, remove the pan from the heat. The pudding will thicken more as it cools.
- Wash the strawberries and pat dry. Remove the tops and slice them thinly.
- Cut the angel food cake into bite-sized pieces with a bread knife.
- In a large glass bowl, layer the ingredients. Add a layer of angel food cake pieces, then pour or spoon a layer of pudding over the angel food cake. Next, add a layer of strawberries, decorating around the edge if you wish. Then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat the layers so that there are at least 2 layers of each ingredient.
- Decorate the top with the remaining strawberries and angel food cake pieces.
- Refriderate until you are ready to serve
For those of y’all who are relatively new to cooking, I have also provided a detailed breakdown of how to make this delicious strawberry trifle dessert!
1 | Make the Pudding
In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and pudding mix. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium-high heat while stirring constantly with a whisk. Once it starts to boil, remove the pan from the heat. Don’t worry if the mix is still a bit thin as the pudding will continue to thicken as it cools.
2 | Wash and Cut The Strawberries
Rinse your strawberries and lay them out on a kitchen towel to dry. Gently pat them dry. Remove the tops of the strawberries, then slice them thin. I cut them so that they look like little triangles, but you can cut them however you would like.
3 | Cut the Angel Food Cake
Cut the angel food cake into bite-sized pieces. The best way to cut angel food cake is with a serrated bread knife.
4 | Whipped Topping
For this recipe, I just use store-bought whipped topping, because it’s quick and easy. I know not everyone likes to use this stuff, but I’m a lazy home chef. If you want to use real whipped cream, you can make your own with heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Just make sure you have at least 6 cups worth.
5 | Layer
Start by filling the bottom of a glass bowl with the pieces of angel food cake.
Next is the pudding. Cover the angel food cake pieces with a layer of pudding by either pouring or spooning about half the pudding over the cake. I personally prefer to use a large spoon as it gives a lot more control of where the pudding ends up.
Add a layer of sliced strawberries. You can make this into a decorative layer, or you can just toss the strawberries in the bowl. I just stood up some of the slices around the edge, then filled the center.
Using a spatula (scraper spatula, not pancake flipper spatula) smooth a layer of whipped topping over the strawberries.
Repeat the layering.
Note that you can do as many layers as you want. I usually only use two layers of each for this particular recipe. If you do decide to use more layers, make sure to divide your ingredients accordingly.
6 | Decorate
Using the leftover strawberries and angel food cake pieces, decorate the top however you like.
7 | Serve
Serve immediately or refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this Strawberry Trifle Dessert please share! As always, I’m happy to help you out if you have any questions, comments, or concerns! Just leave a message below!
You can find more delicious recipes here!